Wednesday, October 21, 2015

My Journey in Hip Hop Dance



I guess it all really started in high school when I joined the Renaissance Class Dance team to perform at the end-of-the-year spirit rally. I've never done anything dance-related until sophomore year when I joined this temporary team. I became the only person in my class to have joined for 3 consecutive years (we didn't have a class team our freshman year), and because of it, I really wanted to keep it going in college


In my freshman year at Pitzer College, I joined the KASA Freshman Dance Crew. These dance crews perform at the annual dance-off competition in LA at the end of November held by the Korean American Students Association. Our performance had a graduation theme - hence the purple graduation caps. Below is our performance: 





After this one semester commitment, I became hungry for more hip hop dance experiences. And so, I became a founding member of Shingiru Crew. 



Here's a short video of our auditions clip:


The following year, we finally became a recognized club on campus. We renamed ourselves to Groove Nation Dance Crew and recruited a fun family of dancers.



During my last year in Groove Nation, we were huge on campus. We became overbooked with performances throughout the semester, and we had a lot of momentum going.







My journey restarted when I moved over to Columbia University. That's when I joined CU Generation - a K-pop hip-hop fusion dance crew. 





CU Generation at RAWCUS 360



CU Generation at CSC Night Market



CU Generation at AAA CultureSHOCK



CU Generation at Glass House Rocks