Monday, January 13, 2014

How I got into Computer Science

For my last year, I challenged myself to take on the legendary CS5 course "Introduction to Computer Science" at Harvey Mudd taught by Professor Zachary Dodds. As part of Mudd's Common Core curriculum, CS5 is taught in Python and introduces computational techniques, theory, and societal and ethical issues. To me, Dodds was a character who overflowed a room with his enthusiastic charisma. I admired his hearty approach of entertaining demonstrations and hilarious references to "42", aliens, and Star Trek. He effectively taught design, implementation, and documentation with the element of wonder. Surely, it was his attitude that assuaged my fears and hooked me to the technical field. I jumped towards the Operations Research major in the 3-2 Combined Engineering Program with Columbia University, which required me to switch to an introductory course in Java. This course asked probing, non-trivial questions teaching creative problem-solving procedures and demonstrated efficient and brilliant algorithms. With each problem set, I learned more about technological innovations and realized how powerful computer science can be. My time with Python and Java had been pivotal. I personally came across the most witty and personable people who, in such a demanding field, have some of the best attitudes. These people taught me that process is more important than the end result and helped me internalize genuine work ethic and the values of collaboration.

In October, I had the privilege of attending my first Harvey Mudd Career Fair. I attended special Tech Talks to hear representatives speak about their companies' unique culture and projects. I could feel the emphasis on a productive and encouraging work environment to foster innovative values and engaging work dynamic. Quickly after, I joined the Women of the Association of Computing Machinery (W-ACM) to partake in thought-provoking dinner discussions of internship, interview, and culture experiences.

W-ACM convinced me to compete in my first Hack-a-Thon where I programmed a GRE vocabulary game in Java. With only two months of programming experience, I made the right decision to take the risk of putting myself through this 24-hour coding challenge. Before then, I participated in Hack Week, a computer science boot camp that took place before the tournament. The way that the Hack-a-Thon promoted collaboration, innovative creativity, and encouragement made me appreciate the competition. I continued on to volunteer as a Core Values Judge for the FIRST Lego League, a robotics tournament for youths, hosted at Harvey Mudd College. My role was to push for teamwork and creativity to girls and boys.

Through these experiences, I fell in love with how organizations and companies are making a movement to remove the stigma of the technical field as tedious and male-dominated. With strong leadership background and curiosity for technological innovations, I aspire to become a project or product manager working with passionate and talented individuals to dedicate our lives to not just great, but greater ideas.
Women, Pedagogy and Technology Talk at the Claremont Colleges

--
January, 2014
Chloe Shih